Our Chalet offers exciting 3-6 month volunteer leadership placements that run with the European seasons; winter, spring, summer and autumn. Specialist volunteers help out with everything but focus on one area.
Taking part in our volunteer leadership development programme as a Volunteer Specialist equips you with practical work skills in your chosen area, leadership mindsets, and a way to give back. All while enjoying fun and international friendship in the Swiss Alps!
Our Chalet offers four types of Volunteer Specialist opportunities: Programme, Guest Services, Kitchen, and Marketing & Communications.
SPECIALIST VOLUNTEER - KITCHEN
NOTE: THIS IS A SUMMER ONLY ROLE. THE POSITION IS FILLED FOR 2024 AND APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED.
Spend your summer cooking in Switzerland! Support the Kitchen Manager in creating, planning, delivering and evaluating Our Chalet’s catering while gaining valuable work experience in a busy kitchen.
The Our Chalet Kitchen Volunteer develops personally and professionally while building skills and knowledge related to kitchen management. She will develop her professional skills through active participation in the daily operations of Our Chalet World Centre and give service to Our Chalet and to Guides and Scouts from around the world by sharing her skills and expertise.
The Our Chalet Kitchen Volunteer brings dedication, enthusiasm, diligence, and professionalism to her role in order to take on personal and professional challenges while contributing to an international environment. She works with the all teams at Our Chalet to ensure a positive experience for guests by supporting all elements of the guest experience at Our Chalet.
The Our Chalet Kitchen Volunteer will assist in the implementation of World Centre’s Business plan and World Centre’s Strategic Marketing plan with the aim to increase guest satisfaction.
- Support high customer service standards
- General kitchen duties including oversight of meal preparation, supervision of volunteers in kitchen, assist Kitchen Manager as needed
– Keep kitchen areas clean and tidy
– Cater to special diets
– Respond to questions from guests about meals and source of ingredients
– Support high customer service standards
– Assist in training of Our Chalet volunteers in kitchen duties
– Take the lead in kitchen during Kitchen Manager’s absence
– Assist with kitchen organization
– Adhere to Swiss health and safety regulations in all areas of catering
– Assist with inventory management
- Attending staff meetings as required
- Work with the line manager in finding creative solutions to increase guest satisfaction
- Maintain an atmosphere conducive to international friendship, cultural understanding and the values of WAGGGS and Our Chalet
- Ensure the highest standard of guest service to all visitors
- Maintain a positive and efficient working environment for all staff and volunteers
- Serve as ‘on duty person’ when required
- Serve as ‘first aider’ when required (if applicable)
- Join and talk to guest during dinner and other joint meals
- Plan and deliver a personal or group project which will enable personal and professional development of the intern as well as benefit the operations of Our Chalet
This is a residential post.
- Must be at least 20 years old
- Training or Experience in food preparation
- Currently (or in recent past has been), an active member of a Member Organisation of WAGGGS or National Scout Organisation member of WOSM
The position is subject to visa and work permit restrictions. Applicant must be able to acquire a Swiss volunteer or Student visa (for applicants from outside the European Union). Applicant should preferably hold a passport of one of the countries of the European Union.
All applications must be endorsed by your Member Organisation’s International Commissioner.
- Customer Service experience
- Work experience with high customer service standards
- Guiding/Girl Scouting experience
- Work experience – any field
- Have an understanding of WAGGGS and the World Centres
- Guiding/Girl Scouting experience at a national or international level
- Knowledge of Our Chalet
- Work in an international team
- Work in a residential environment
- Excellent communicator with the ability to effectively inform a wide range of people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Awareness and sensitivity to different styles of communicating
- Patient and friendly attitude
- High level – fluent written and spoken English
- Awareness of the importance of timely, open and constructive communication internally and externally
- Written and spoken German / French
- Additional foreign language skills
- Be able to maintain a positive working environment for all staff and volunteers
- Positive and proactive approach to challenges and the intern role
- Maturity in work ethics
- Emotional maturity
- Willingness to learn on the job
- Willingness to be flexible and patient in a constantly changing and challenging environment
- Empathetic and helping attitude towards people
- Ensure the highest standards of customer service to all visitors
- Be able to relate to people of all ages and cultures
- Flexible and adaptable to different situations, events, and guest requests
- Able to efficiently manage personal stress levels
- Able to work independently
- A self-starter with initiative
- Gain valuable work experience in food preparations and hospitality areas
- Travel Scholarship (to and from Our Chalet combined) up to CHF 500 (more financial assistance may be available on request to the World Centre Manager)
- Health insurance is provided during your stay
- Full Board and Lodging in a shared accommodation will be provided by Our Chalet
- Laundry facilities and linen are provided
- Wireless internet access is available
- Uniform is provided
- Up to 9 days off per month
- Learning about different cultures, customs and countries
- Learning new life skills such as work ethics, leadership and communication skills, trying new activities outdoors and living in an international environment
- Learning about self, about others, about the environment and needs of the society
- Learning about WAGGGS, WOSM and the World Centres
- Support from long term staff team in planning and delivering personal projects
- Support from long term staff in gaining wide working experience
- Staff days out and other social outings
When you submit your application you will receive an automated e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
Our volunteer team aims to reply to all volunteer applications. However, due to the high volume of applications received we prioritise contacting applicants who have applied to volunteer over a time when we have a need.
Our team will be in touch with applicants about next steps after the application deadline, for the season applied for, has closed.
Our Chalet will provide you with all meals, accommodation, use of self-service laundry facilities and wireless internet access in designated areas on site for the duration of your stay.
If you are worried about money, you should look into financial assistance options. You will need to cover your travel costs, souvenirs & things you want to do in your free time. Our Chalet has a scholarship fund that you can apply to for travel assistance. Depending on where you are travelling from, we are usually able to offer travel scholarships of CHF 500 – 1000. You may also be able to apply for assistance from your national Guide/Scout Organisation or local community organisations.
To apply you need to complete both Part A and Part B of the application form, linked to below this box. All forms must be completed in full, although including a photograph is optional (we are happy to receive forms without a photo).
Return both forms to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly stating in your e-mail which season and role you are applying for.
Please note: if you are successful at interview your application must be endorsed by your Member Organisation’s International Commissioner before we can make an offer of a placement. You may also be asked to provide contact details for two references.
Are you curious what volunteers in each season are doing at Our Chalet? How does a day to day life look like? Read their stories in Chalet Chatter – the Our Chalet staff blog.