our chalet foundation
What is Our Chalet Foundation?
Our Chalet Foundation is the legal entity that looks after the management of the buildings and the land where Our Chalet is located. The Foundation works closely with the Centre Manager and the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts.
Fit for the Future
- Added the Centre Manager’s office in Spycher
- Upgraded the bathrooms and the T-Bar in Main Chalet
- Fully renovated the kitchen
- Made improvements for the food and materials storage areas in the basement
- Made improvements in the laundry room of Our Chalet.
The Foundation is not involved in the running and management of the Centre.
- The re-varnishing of the floors of Our Chalet and Stöckli.
- Re-fitting new window frames in Main Chalet to improve the glazing and cut down on heat-loss.
- Fixing and strengthening the floor of the Eco Hut after it collapsed.
- Improving the space under the Hut for outdoor equipment storage.
- Wall and roof insulation throughout the Main Chalet improved.
- New radiators and piping installed.
- The driveway up to Our Chalet has recently been re-surfaced.
- A guide barrier has been installed on the bend below Spycher.
About the Our Chalet Foundation
The Foundation was set up in September 1996 in accordance to Swiss law. The Board of Trustees of Our Chalet Foundation is made up of representatives from various groups including the World Board of WAGGGS, the European Committee of WAGGGS, Mouvement Scout de Suisse (PBS – the Swiss Guides & Scouts), the Foundation for Swiss Scout Houses and representatives appointed from other groups like Adelboden Tourism, the Adelboden community, and the World Foundation for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts Inc.
Members are appointed for a three year term and can serve a maximum of nine years. The Board of Trustees elects the chair person and the board has to have a Swiss majority.
Function of the Our Chalet Foundation
Over the past couple of years, Our Chalet Foundation has also been involved with the community re-zoning of the Adelboden area and the successful conclusion of this now allows us to do a small amount of building work on the site. This work has included building a small garage for the Centre’s van and car and a rubbish bin shelter – but there are no additional plans for extensions or new builds on the site.
Future plans include the potential linking up of the heating systems in Chalet, Stöckli and Spycher to make it more efficient and effective.
A Lasting Legacy
By continuing the upkeep of Our Chalet and surrounding buildings, Our Chalet Foundation also maintains the lasting legacy and vision of Helen Storrow (USA) who donated Our Chalet and Baby Chalet as an international centre for girls in 1932. Now over 80 years old and the oldest of the four World Centres, everyone travelling and staying at Our Chalet has enjoyed the beautiful scenery of the mountains and all that the area of Adelboden offers and left with that spirit of Guiding that is found “high up, high in the mountains.”
Find Out More
For further details about Our Chalet Foundation, please contact the Our Chalet Guest Services team.