Our Chalet offers exciting 3-6 month volunteer leadership placements that run with the European seasons; winter, spring, summer and autumn. Specialist volunteers help out with everything but focus on one area.
Taking part in our volunteer leadership development programme as a Volunteer Specialist equips you with practical work skills in your chosen area, leadership mindsets, and a way to give back. All while enjoying fun and international friendship in the Swiss Alps!
Our Chalet offers four types of Volunteer Specialist opportunities: Programme, Guest Services, Kitchen, and Marketing & Communications.
SPECIALIST VOLUNTEER - MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
An opportunity to promote Our Chalet to the world and be part of the World Centres’ Marketing Team.
Work with the team at Our Chalet and WAGGGS to ensure high quality promotion, representation, and increased visibility of the Centre. Assist in implementing the World Centres’ Strategic Marketing Plan and Branding Strategy with the aim to increase guest bookings and participation in Our Chalet events.
The Our Chalet Marketing and Communications Volunteer (MCV) has the opportunity to develop personally and professionally while building skills and knowledge related to WAGGGS and the World Centres, Our Chalet, and the local community. They will develop their professional skills through active participation in the daily operations of Our Chalet World Centre and give service to Our Chalet and to Guides and Scouts from around the world by sharing their skills and expertise and pitching in wherever they are needed.
The Our Chalet MCV brings dedication, enthusiasm, diligence, and professionalism to her role in order to take on personal and professional challenges while contributing to an international environment. They works with all teams at Our Chalet to ensure a positive response to marketing by supporting all elements of the guest experience at Our Chalet.
They will assist in the implementation of World Centre’s Strategic Marketing plan and Branding strategy with the aim to increase guest bookings and participation in Our Chalet events.
They will support all elements of fulfilling the objectives defined in World Centre’s Communications plan in accordance with the aim and objectives of Our Chalet reflected in the Operational plan and the mission and vision of WAGGGS.
The MCV, like all volunteers, will help with cooking, cleaning, and general day-to-day running of Our Chalet alongside their marketing and communications work. If they are interested they may also have the opportunity to assist with some day or evening programmes.
– Collect and post engaging stories and photo/video material
– Assist in managing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, You Tube and other social media accounts
– Track and provide reporting on social media interaction
– Expand Our Chalet’s presence and interaction on various Social media
Promotional materials, newsletters and external events
– Update and prepare promotional materials for programme, services and events
– Create new flyers and brochures
– Prepare Our Chalet content input for various electronic newsletters
– Prepare materials for representing Our Chalet at external events
– Represent Our Chalet at external events (if required)
– Photograph and file images of daily life and events at Our Chalet for marketing useage
Growth and impact
– When required liaise with other World Centres and WAGGGS Communications team on specific projects
– Analyse social media reports and develop ideas to increase the communication with targeted and underrepresented demographic
– Work with Deputy World Centre Manager : Operations in finding creative solutions to increase guest bookings, visibility of Our Chalet and impact of marketing actions
– Assist in implementation of the World Centre’s Branding Strategy
- Maintain an atmosphere conducive to international friendship, cultural understanding, and the values of WAGGGS and Our Chalet.
- Help out in all areas at Our Chalet, including in the kitchen and with cleaning. All volunteers, including MCV, will receive kitchen and cleaning training. MCVs will be assigned ‘guest services days’ and kitchen shifts.
- Ensure the highest standard of guest service and communication to all visitors.
- Maintain a positive and efficient working environment for all staff and volunteers.
- Serve as ‘on duty person’ when required.
- Cover the guest reception when required.
- Reply to guest emails as required.
- Support Guest Services in the use and advertising of Our Chalet on AirBnB.
- Assist in the delivery of evening programme as necessary.
- Join and talk to guests during dinner and other joint meals.
- Deliver the daily morning meeting of staff as required.
- Plan and deliver a personal or group project which will enable personal and professional development of the intern as well as benefit the operations of Our Chalet.
- 18+ years of age*
- Member of World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) or World Organisation of Scout Movement (WOSM)
- All applicants must be willing and able to join the WAGGGS Volunteer Pool and be endorsed by their Member Organisation during the application process.
- Very good verbal English and excellent written English skills (English is the working language of Our Chalet). French, Spanish, Arabic, or German skills are a bonus.
- Experience or training in marketing and communications.
- Physically and mentally fit to live in shared housing and work long hours at altitude (1,350m above sea level). Volunteers with disabilities are welcomed, please contact us if you have questions about the suitability of our volunteer placements for you.
*If you do not hold and EU/EFTA passport, Swiss visa rules mean you must be aged under 36 at the time of volunteering and have not previously had a volunteer visa for Switzerland. There is no upper age limit for EU/EFTA passport holders.
All applications must be endorsed by your Member Organisation’s International Commissioner before any placement can be offered.
- Education or qualifications and / or work experience in Marketing and Communications.
- Work experience with high customer service standards.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Experience working in English, especially with written English. Or relevant English language qualification.
- Guiding/Girl Scouting experience at a national or international level
- Knowledge of Our Chalet and the WAGGGS World Centres.
- Work experience in an international team.
- Work experience in a residential environment.
- Experience working in a kitchen, retail environment, or house-keeping.
- High computer literacy including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and desktop or professional design programmes.
- Excellent communicator in English with the ability to effectively inform a wide range of people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Awareness and sensitivity to different styles of communicating and ability to work within branding guidelines.
- Patient and friendly attitude.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Basic digital filming and editing.
- Graphic design experience.
- Setup and use of basic technology-laptops, projectors, sound equipment.
- Awareness of the importance of timely, open and constructive communication internally and externally.
- Written and spoken German.
- Additional foreign language skills.
- Kitchen and cleaning skills.
- Learning opportunities to gain valuable work experience in Marketing and Communication as well as administration and hospitality.
- Free full board (three meals per day) and lodging in shared staff housing in the beautiful Swiss Alps!
- Working in a truly international environment in an English language setting.
- Leadership and professional development.
- Learning new life and work skills such as time management, running outdoor activities, cooking, and guest services.
- Learning new Guide and Scout games and current WAGGGS topics to share at home.
- Support from staff team in planning and delivering personal projects.
- Free laundry facilities.
- Free wifi.
- Access to a range of equipment such as hiking boots, hiking poles, sleds, snowshoes, bicycles, etc.
- Nine days off per month, 1×3 day period off during your season.
- Two days free accommodation before and after your volunteering dates.
- Staff Day Out.
- Uniform provided for your time here.
- Our Chalet staff necker for you to keep.
- Staff challenge badge to work on.
- All the awesomeness of the Swiss Alps on your doorstep, plus many European countries with easy reach to explore!
When you submit your application you will receive an automated e-mail confirming receipt of the application.
Our volunteer team aims to reply to all volunteer applications. However, due to the high volume of applications received we prioritise contacting applicants who have applied to volunteer over a time when we have a need.
Our team will be in touch with applicants about next steps after the application deadline, for the season applied for, has closed.
Our Chalet will provide you with all meals, accommodation, uniform, use of self-service laundry facilities and wifi access in designated areas on site for the duration of your stay.
If you are worried about money, you should look into financial assistance options. You will need to cover your travel costs, souvenirs, & things you want to do in your free time. Our Chalet has a scholarship fund that you can apply to for travel assistance. Depending on where you are travelling from, we are usually able to offer travel scholarships of CHF 500 – 1000. You may also be able to apply for assistance from your national Guide/Scout Organisation or local community organisations.
To apply you need to complete both Part A and Part B of the application form, linked to below this box. All forms must be completed in full, although including a photograph is optional (we are happy to receive forms without a photo).
Return both forms to email@example.com clearly stating in your e-mail which season and role you are applying for.
Please note: if you are successful at interview your application must be endorsed by your Member Organisation’s International Commissioner before we can make an offer of a placement. You may also be asked to provide contact details for two references.
Are you curious what volunteers in each season are doing at Our Chalet? How does a day to day life look like? Read their stories in Chalet Chatter – the Our Chalet staff blog.